Thursday, July 22, 2010

Epilogue. Unanswered Questions Answered


Aah! What a satisfying post has it been! I managed to get a quite a number of people to read the entire series, and some of them are actually waiting for more! :) What else could I ask for??

This story of mine and the subsequent reactions of my friends who read it did prompt me to wonder how much my friends actually knew me. I also think I might have not been this 'successful' had I written on anything else. In fact a second reading of my own posts seems so corny and childish. Yet people did not complain about that, it was almost as if they expected nothing better out of me - writing style or content. Sad.

And then there is the part where everybody wanted to know who were the girls I was talking about, and then the part where people warned me of not going overboard and to control my urge in revealing certain identities. And finally the people who thought I was making it all up - and to their credit they were ones who first realised whom or rather what I was talking about.

You see, as much people would disagree, my first love has always been Automobiles - Bikes and Cars. As a kid I had dreams of car and bike toys. Nowadays I dream of pretty much the same - cars and bikes (not toys). So it was but natural that I write about them, yet at the same time I did not want it to be another typical 'petrolhead' blog where I wipe tears off my eyes every time I write about the blue smoke from my Suzuki Samurai or the shine of my Apache just after a wax polish.

The leading ladies of this story of mine are the bikes (or cycle) that actually had a hold over me. To those inanimate, smoke belching (atleast some of them), suicidal (all of them) modes of transport that was always on top of mind, for which I found excuses to spend some time together, for whom I saved my money and lavishly spent, for whom I still miss - this is a tribute.

The First Lady

This was in Cochin when I was staying in A.L Jacob Road and behind my house was this office where I first set my eyes on the Yezdi Roadking. No other bike could draw my attention to it like that one. 18 years on and I still remember it vividly - a clear loud exhaust note, coupled with those twin exhausts. Simply Amazing.



The Second Girl

I was still in Cochin when I first came across this ad in the newspaper. It went like - " 18 gears, Front Shock Absorber, Rear Monoshock, etc - All it needs is an Engine" and I was hooked. I didn't even know to cycle then and it was quite a shame to be a 13 yr old boy who didn't know how to cycle. I actually learnt cycling on a bsa champ and a hero hansa - so embarrassing that i used to ride them only in the nights on dark streets. Perseverance did pay off and my dad got me that cycle - Rs 3000 back then from a Cycle Shop on Chittoor Road. It was the coolest cycle that one could get back then and I loved flaunting it everywhere, and explaining to people how there were 3 'gears' at pedal and 6 'gears' at the rear wheel which made it an 18 speed bicycle. :)
I still have the cycle, but so screwed up that I feel really sad at seeing its state. Someday I will restore her.


The Third Girl

This special vehicle was my first motorized two wheeler. This was basically bought for my brother which later was handed over to me (a recurring trend as we would see later). It was a 1986 Cherry Red Pollachi registered Kinetic Honda (TCI 1464) henceforth referred to as Kiney. :) This scooter was fabulous, had a nice grunt especially compared to puny Scooties and Sunnies and cult favourite as well. The Kiney was 2 months younger to me in age, but I still managed to spend loads on her which ensured the magic figure of 40kmpl for a 2 stroke Scooter. It was always dirty,because any water on it made the paint wash off. I tinkered around with it and managed to remove all unnecessary side extensions which gave the scooter a sleek profile. It was with me throughout 11th and 12th std and I don think the final two years of my School life would have been so much fun without her.


The Scoot is Still around somewhere in Coimbatore at some relatives place. I have made up my mind to get it restored. :)

The Fourth Girl

The next bike I had was the TVS Suzuki Samurai. It was 1996 model which was with my Cousin, then came to my bro and then to me. This is was the first geared bike I rode and still say it with pride because I learnt to ride this before my brother for whom it was meant. I never got to use the bike much when he was using it, but once he left for his MBA, the bike came to Chennai with my parents and it was my first bike in Chennai. A simple straight forward two stroker, this bike brought many many smiles. In fact this bike started the TVS tradition in my family. When my next bike came I still had this bike with me but I had to soon sell it off.

Pic courtesy - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-1953.html


The Fifth Girl

Now this is MY bike. TVS Apache in a stunning shade of red bought in June 06. I saw the Apache ad in a newspaper and immediately set my heart on it. It was much more exciting than a Unicorn and much more unique than a Pulsar. A brief test ride followed by 6 months of gestation thanks to parents the bike finally came home - and I wasnt even at home! I saw the bike two days later and I still remember the sheer happiness of seeing this bike - seeing my bike!


I rode the Apache extensively in Chennai, Hyderabad and in Bangalore. With a bike as willing as this one it was fun to have sudden plans of going out or dinner or movie - basically anything! I love this bike!

The Phataka

Around the time I quit my job and came back to Chennai my brother picked up this smashing bike - the TVS Apache RTR - eFi in Orange that too. And poor him, he wasn't even in Chennai when the bike arrived. What a BIKE! It was crazy, loud, scary, precise and a hell lot of fun! It was just awesome to stop at a signal and see everybody just looking the bike. Either they loved the orange or just hated it. Due to fault in it fuel injection ( a chronic problem with all RTR eFIs) it used to behave like badly bucking horse. Twist the throttle - No power. Then suddenly all hell breaks loose. But I just fell for it madly till the time it was in Chennai that is. And see what happened to my bike then -




So yeah, that brings us to the end of this story of my life. I know many of you might have been disappointed with the slightly unexpected climax, but most people would be quite seething with anger especially considering they resorted to strong words after reading my original posts. I hope I was interesting enough to keep you guys hooked.

And to those who are still expecting me to write about my 'real' love stories - its never gonna happen. I'd probably get more brickbats then than now, from the actual girls. Oh yeah, btw for those curious, I am still single. ( I am glad I put that bit of information in the most subtle manner)


Till the next post then.
Cheers!









1 comment: